Let's talk MOM style. I’m not talking about stone-washed jeans and ugly-sweater mom style. I’m talking about easy, roll-out-of-bed-but-look-put-together mom style!!
Today, I’m going to impart two tricks that I’ve learned that can help me feel a little less “swamp monster” and a little more “I look this way on purpose”.
#1: Hats are your friend
When your 2-day hair is on day 4 (or 5), it’s ok… take a deep breath and put on a hat. With only a few steps, you can look cute, fashionable and put together. Whether you like baseball caps, fedoras, sun hats, or even panama hats-—here are some style suggestions to rocking the hat-hair:
Down and Wavy
Keep it simple by brushing out our hair and spraying a good beach/texturizing spray.
1. Pull your hair back into a low pony, and secure with a small clear elastic.
2. Split the hair in half just above the elastic to create a little vertical opening. Then, grab your pony, and flip it up and through that opening, so it loops back around.
3. A few inches below that first elastic, wrap another elastic around the ponytail, and create another opening just above it like you did in step two.
4. Repeat the rest of step two with this new section of the ponytail, looping the pony up and through the vertical opening.
5. Use one last elastic to section off the end of the ponytail a few inches below the second elastic. Voilà—the look of a fishtail minus all the braiding.
1. Spray some dry shampoo on your roots.
2. Pull your hair to one side and then split into two sections.
3. Braid both sections, temporarily securing the first braid with an elastic.
4. When you are done braiding the second section, remove the elastic from the first braid and layer together the end of the braids.
5. Finish up with an elastic and a gentle tug on the loops of the braids to make them fuller.
1. Go ahead and braid your hair. Nothing fancy here—just your average braid.
2. Once you've made it to the end of your hair, take one of your three strands in one hand. Push the braid up to the nape of your neck with your other hand.
3. Once you get the braid up to the neck, begin pinning the braid. As you can see from the photo above, you will have a tail. Don't worry! We'll pin that, too!
4. When your bun is feeling pretty secure, wrap the tail around the base of the bun and pin it in place. Once it feels secure, you're all done!
#2: Shoes are an important “accessory”
Shoes are more than just something you put on your feet for comfort... they are often the thing that make an outfit. So, here are a few of our favorite shoe trends to take a look at. Make a simple style swap by switching out your flip-flops or athletic shoes for these fun alternatives. If I can only help one mom up her footwear game, then I'll have done my job!
The days of playing it safe with shoes are done! Add a little retro playfulness with your outfit with a colored shoe. Whether you go for a pink slide-on sneaker or a more brightly colored sandal, your shoes will steal the show.
Metallics are the new neutrals. Instantly make any outfit a little more glam with a metallic slip on sneaker.
Let your little piggies breathe and adorn your feet with some fun texture to help your outfit some together. Textures and patterns to look for include: embroidery, raffia, jacquard, quilting, and perforations.